Friday, October 17, 2008

There is No Station


Many months ago, which seems like lifetimes ago, I learned valuable truths during a long train ride. Not an actual trip on a train, but metaphorically speaking a knee-dropping, life experience. Today as I struggled to resume my household appointments, for no particular reason (I'm not even near a train), I reminded myself these truths. 

1. There is no station. No perfect waiting place. Restlessly I waited for the money to come, for some alone time, for security, for peace. 

2. Peace is a choice. I remember one Relief Society church meeting where sisters were discussing hardships and how to find peace. My hand was in the air before I had time to retract it and I commented, "Peace is a choice." Immediately I heard grumbling and 2 other hands shoot into the air. 

3. I live moment to moment. "Well, sometimes life is so hard......" retorted the recent 45 year old widow. Ouch. Why did I say anything? I thought to myself. The instructor turned back to me for some sort of explanation for my comment. "I believe that I live moment to moment and I can choose peace in any given moment." It was clear to me and I felt inspired to share. I had been practicing this for months.  

4. I don't always want peace. On days like yesterday and today, I ask the silent observer why on earth I don't choose peace now. If peace is a choice, what control would prevent me from agreeing. 

5. Pride wants to live. The stale, discouraging thoughts that indistinctly consume my mind occur regardless of my itineraries. Choosing peace means death of the pride(the ego, pride), death of unconsciousness, renewal of light. 

6. The light does come. I didn't win; I didn't arrive at the perfect station. 

7. Life is a game that can't be won only played. I'm still waiting for my husband to write about this in his blog; a quote revised from the movie, "The Legend of Bagger Vance." In other words, enjoy the ride, enjoy playing the game. 

How do you enjoy playing life? Please share!

3 comments:

Karalea-Karalea said...

...enjoy playing "life." Hmmmm.

I guess that I have the attitude of "sit when you die!" (I think the true saying is "sleep when you die!" But I like to sleep...so I say "sit")

To me, this means that if you have an idea...do it. If you feel a prompting...follow it - right then and there. If you want something in your life...go after it. Now that sounds like a "go getter" type of attitude, but if it is tons of z's that you're going after, that is fine too.

I just feel like our time here is so short and there are a million and one things that I want to do in my life. I'm going, I'm doing....yeah. That's all.

TM CLAN said...

What a great attitude. I guess that's how you get so much stuff done with 3 little ones; you are passionate. Thanks for sharing.

Melissa said...

I was so touched my this post I have actually read it three or four times. And think about how I enjoy life!

Every since conference I have tried to laugh more. Find more joy in the silly little things my kids do ALL the time instead of just seeing the annoying things they do ALL the time.

I have also tried to enjoy the day, not just get through it!

Adam shared a quote with me a while ago that has helped me have more peace. I forgot where is came from but the jest of it was to not let others affect my mood or how I act! When I really thought about it I was letting my frustrations with the kids put me in a bad mood for hours. There is no peace in bad moods! So I find I am able to get over things more quickly.

Sorry if this comment doesn't fully make sense, but I loved and needed your post! Thank you! You are the BEST!! I miss you!