
I just finished 'The Last Lecture' by Randy Rausch. I enjoyed the book for many reasons, here are a few:
1. "Not Everything Needs to Be Fixed" This refers to a story about his wife wrecking their car. I love his reaction and how he wrote about egos. On a personal note, I considered this true about me; no fixing necessary.
2. Pouring Soda in the Backseat. "I slowly and deliberately opened a can of soda, turned it over, and poured it on the cloth seats in the back of the convertible. My message: People are more important than things." Did he really do that? As I read this, the mental picture formed in my mind of sticky fluid trickling down the seams, into the metal joints, and through the carpeting to the car's frame. I know, I can't help it.
3. They Just Blew Me Away. "Guy's, that was pretty good, but I know you can do better." I love the wisdom in those words as given to college aged kids after they submitted work far better than ever expected. I again considered this as great parenting admonition.
4. Show Gratitude. Did this guy know how to pay it forward or what? Amazing. From his stories about sending thin mints, thank you notes, or apologies, he capitalized on sure ways to be a successful leader. Salesman? Nonsense.
5. Final Remarks. "If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you."
I don't feel sorry for the author or his family, for what lies ahead for them in terms of mourning or loss. We all learn from our own life experiences. But I did tear up once...
6. Jai and Me. At Randy's last lecture, his wife was brought up on stage. She whispered in his ear, 'Please don't die.'
I remember last March when Tom was in California and I was in Utah. I received the call that he was in the horrible accident and the doctor's couldn't get him to respond. Those weren't exactly my words, mine were more like, "Don't you dare die. I don't want to do this alone." Oh, the tender mercies, His kindness forever for Jai and for me.

2 comments:
Ok.. you missed the "Tom in a horrible accident" info when we last caught up! What happened????
Yea, I was just wondering about that accident too!!!
This book sounds amazing; I saw him to his lecture on TV and he was very inspiring. I've picked the book up several times to buy it, and for whatever reason didn't; after this review; I think I definitely will!
Post a Comment