We set out to find the perfect carving pumpkins and ended up in a parking lot made to look like a rural pumpkin patch. (Our favorite pumpkin patch in Ventura County went out of business)
Matthew loved petting the ponies.
Travis jumped in the blow up bouncy with kids that were all bigger than he. Matthew looked on because Matthew has never been a fan of big blow up bouncy things. And yet, Matthew spent a good deal of time feeding the sheep, goats, and cows in the walk around petting zoo of which Travis would never step foot.
Before we came home to carve our prizes, we stopped by Barnes and Noble and picked up a couple of holiday books to read. One book that I wanted to get but didn't get was "How Many Pumpkin Seeds?". Why buy the book when you can create that at home?
Me: How many seeds do you think are in your pumpkin Matthew?
M: 6
Me: Travis?
T: 3
Me: Makayla?
M: 20
Me: I think Travis has 50, Matt has 75, and Makayla has 150.
I intended on counting all the kids' pumpkin seeds and I started with Travis'. 1, 2, 3, 4...let's put them in groups of 10. After 200, the kids lost interest and there I sat needing to finish the project because that is how I roll.
Knowing Travis and his clear intention, I scrambled a little to find Batman attire without spending any more money. And yet, unexpectedly Travis wanted to be a Jedi at 3pm on Wednesday only 3 hours before the activity.

Tom decorated the back of the car while I stood anxiously holding the candy feeling utterly useless. He almost abandoned his project but I did encourage him to keep going because 'everyone out here is waiting for the unveiling.' We had a strobe light, creepy music, dry ice and a curtain of black plastic with something moving behind the curtain.
Everyone stood in anticipation for this:
His handcuffed, upper body swayed as though suspended by the noose and his lower body had small little legs. As kids approached the dead body, Tom would lift his hands and grab their candy bags causing screams.
All the anticipation, aggravation, and intimidation paid off when he won the prize and I'm not sure the title but it was something like the best or the scariest or the most original or the worst decorative car trunk.
On the way home, Tom reminded me of another thing I absolutely love about him and roll my eyes at the same time, "Hmmm, how will I top this next year?" And yet. He will.

3 comments:
Miss M is getting sooo big! I want to see Tom's car, you should take a little road trip and come see your favorite Utahn's. You guys are so much fun and we miss that all the time.
The kids look great!! I can't believe you counted all those seeds! You are awesome. Always looking for opportunities to teach your kids.
Tom's set up looks awesome. I think Adam might steal the idea for his haunted garage! I'll let you know!
Tom and Melissa,
Can you please move to AZ? We need you in our lives!!!!!
Joel
Post a Comment