That's a quote from the book I just read, Tallgrass. The book is a novel about prejudice, fear, righteousness and dishonesty. The author writes a 13 year-old's perspective about fairness. It's clear to me there is no fairness.We received 2 hostile voice messages regarding Proposition 8 on our home answering machine. I'd been volunteered to make phone calls, and the safety and benefits of an actual call center never crossed my mind until tonight. My friend in Arizona calls from a stake calling center.
Then I reflected on other people who stood up for something and received opposition. What about the people who are funding this Proposition campaign and the advocates' names written available to those who oppose it? What about Joseph and Emma?


Even though they were tortured, hated, had children taken away, they still stood firm in their faith and conviction.
I, on the other hand, initially felt like maybe I shouldn't have called for Prop 8. It's not worth my family's safety. What if these nuts who left the messages find out my address and send other physical hateful messages?
Most puzzling about the messages is they assumed I was a 'faggot' hater and a republican. Ironically, they will never know I love my lesbian sister and more democrats on my calling list were voting 'YES' on Prop. 8 than republicans.

3 comments:
Malissa, I struggle with this prop 8 bill. My first instinct is to say that gay marriage is wrong. This comes from my up bringing. But I feel that after going through impact I look at people different. I kinda feel like telling someone that they can't marry the one they love is not unconditional love. I am really torn on this bill. I imagine standing face to face with someone and having to "vote". And I guess when I look into to someones eyes I get to vote 4 and unconditionally love them.
Wasn't that Emma movie so good?? I loved it!!!
Your last paragraph on this post is.. beautiful. I do find that in these times, it may not matter if one is Republican or Democrat or Undecided, but that each individual is voicing how they feel. It seems to be that simple. If our constitution, its amendments, and added laws were only opinions.. would we agree with our forefathers? I have to say.. my heart actually more so turns to them, where they knew the bounds to be set, where they were guided by God himself..
I LOVE the thoughts you have. You are one powerful woman. I knew that, yet.. I am recalling, again. :) 4!
Post a Comment