I remember a mother who had recently lost her young son on a scout camp-out tell Oprah she "...had no regrets." Really? No parenting regrets at all? I was uncertain about her comment as I rummaged through the daily regrets that consume me when I allow it.
And so the new high standard was set to finish each day with no regrets. Without disclosing how well this is working for me, here are a few notable regrets today.
1. In an exercise on faith, my daughter listed 5 things she can do to help around our home and wrote the importance of obeying and honoring her parents and learning how to work.
This is was what she wrote:
1. I can sweep the kitchen floor.
2. I can clean my room.
3. I can clean the living room.
4. I can babysit my brothers.
5. I will clean up after myself.
It is important to clean around the house and after yourself because so your parents don't get stressed. And it helps the family be more loving. And when you help out it will teach you how to be a parent when you grow up.
Most regrettable is the "stressed" part of the cleaning around the house and what I call my cleaning neurosis.
2. My youngest had his preschool party where Santa appeared bearing gifts for the enrolled students. Parents could opt in to buying, wrapping, and labeling a gift (book) for siblings by last Friday. My husband and I agreed to allow Travis to have all the glory at this first of many Santa parties this season.
After Santa delivered presents to most of the children in the room, Matthew, most observant, commented, "Mom, Santa is giving gifts to brothers and sisters too. I just know he's going to call my name soon." (This is so my optimistic Matthew)
The remorse was made worse by Matthew's thoughtful gesture with his arm around Travis after he reluctantly joined his class front and center for singing time. Or maybe what made it worse was when, even after I explained to Matthew that Santa wouldn't be calling his name and why, he still offered to escort a scared Travis up to retrieve his wrapped gift.
Or maybe it was as we were walking up to the party I overheard Matthew say, "Travis, just point to which kid is being mean to you and I'll beat him up for you." Yes, I think that was it.
3. We saw Santa on a trailer being pulled by a truck with flashing amber lights on Saturday night. Last time Matt and Makayla and even Tom joined Santa for a quick picture. My daughter wanted to get on the float until 2 of her school friends waved excitedly to her from their seats next to Santa. Travis is still too scared of Santa and so Matt told me what he wanted for Christmas as he stood in line. An Electric Guitar.
When it was his turn, he rushed up the steps, turned to pose for a picture, grabbed his candy cane, and stepped back onto the pavement. Putting my arm around him I asked, "Did you tell him what you wanted?"
"No, I forgot." (There are two regrets: one, his sorrowful regret in forgetting to ask Santa and two, refer to #2.)
And then...of which is not regrettable.
We delivered 7 warm, ham dinners to the homeless tonight and learned from a nice man camping in a car when the homeless leave the park. (At dark, of course.) We are very excited to create something magnificent for Christmas.
And maybe when my children are older, they will be saying, "Remember the one time we asked the homeless man if he wanted a meal and he thought we said 'bill'?"
Instead of, "Remember that one time when all the kids got a gift from Santa except me?"



2 comments:
I love this post. SO real. And the challenge to finish each day with no regrets! Here goes!!
We'd decided 2 years ago to live our lives one day at a time with NO regrets whatsoever. Unsurprisingly, we've learned that the regrets for the things we did are easy to forget but the things we didn't do are the most difficult to overcome.
Love your entries...from the subjects to the way your writing flows. Keep on blogging -with no regrets!
Post a Comment