Saturday, December 20, 2008

Yang and Yin. Survival.

Friday:

Matthew has been sick all week and missed his classroom Christmas party on Friday, so we recreated it at home.

1. Lots of treats made special by our new friends here in California. (See pic below with Matt's expression when he saw the spread.)

2. Sparkling Apple Juice in dixie cups, which we almost couldn't enjoy because I was unable to locate a bottle opener. 

3. Thanks to Tom's Reef sandals. Who knew the bottle opener really works.

4. My craft boxes for making Christmas decorations. 

Matthew decided to make ornaments to hang on the tree. After making the yellow star, and a santa claus, he finished up the painting of his traced hand on some felt with his picture on the front. (I know, how did I come up with all the supplies, right?) 
Grandma offered to take Travis to a birthday party, so it was just Matt and me having a terrific time together.
Saturday:

There is a stocking missing from our mantle this year. 

Makayla is spending Christmas in Utah with her dad. Without any suggestion from me, Matthew handed Makayla a wrapped gift last night. 

The act itself was so thoughtful and deliberate. Makayla was surprised especially because the gift was something of hers he had unknowingly recovered from her room.

As I sent Makayla to Utah this morning, sadness filled my heart as I thought of my first Christmas without my daughter and I even teared up a little at the airport. 

PEACE


3 comments:

Melissa said...

You know, I know how it feels. I tear up just reading this. Nik left Friday after school. Unfortunately I don't think it ever get easier for me!
Anyway, so sorry Matthew is sick. Hope he is feeling better. You are such a good Mom for recreating his party. I bet he didn't even miss it!

Tamlynn said...

Fun party! When my son gets over his cold, lets get them together to play. We have lots of clay. ;)

Troy said...

Melissa, you sound like a great mother. You're very creative. I may have to try this award thing with my youngest who we are trying to get out of nightly pull-ups.