Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Word of the Moment.

dissever /v/. to separate or part; sever.

1. I purchased for the first time in 12 years (or Tom purchased) a brand new dining room table. The garage swallowed the old cardboard table and metal chairs, and surprisingly, the new table transformed the room and warmed it. 

This morning, the boys were sitting nicely at the table coloring when I noticed Travis had the markers that had previously been dissevered from the coloring bucket. Thankfully, the green streak wiped right off the beautiful finish. And then, I remembered why I had a cardboard table in the first place. 

2. Sitting at my new table this morning typing some emails and making phone calls I was privy to a darling conversation between Matt and Travis.

Travis: Matt, I'm farting a little.

Matt: Good job, Travis. Mom, did you hear that? Travis is farting a little. 

Travis: No, I can fart a lot.

Matt: Travis, if you want to fart a lot, you have to put your arm up a little. After a few more armpit farts. Good job, you are getting there.

Usually my response to these common conversations in our home is to dissever the culpable offender from my presence, but today I just laughed (inside) and pretended to be busy typing away.

3. Our family is starting a new Christmas tradition, which is inspired from a friend at church and which dissevers our attention from what isn't as important during this time of year. Some of our lasting traditions include:

decorating the tree together
making and eating Christmas bark
making or buying a new ornament
reading Christmas stories together
reading from an advent calendar about Mary and Joseph, their journey and the birth of Christ
giving gifts to friends for the 12 days of Christmas
creating dinners and giving them away

And now...

We have several nativity sets displayed in our home, and we've removed the baby Jesus from each and placed them in a gift box under the tree. On Christmas morning and before we open gifts, we'll unwrap the baby Jesus and return him to the stable rude. By doing this rather than opening worldly gifts first, I will happen to dissever myself and vanish from the privileges of men for those moments to remember His ultimate gift. His forever love and kindness. 


4.  Makayla got in the van after school complaining of a wiggly tooth. Remembering I didn't deposit money under her pillow after her last lost tooth, I cleverly asked, "How much money did the tooth fairy give you last time?"

"None." 

"Oh, the tooth fairy probably doesn't leave money if the dentist has to pull the tooth." I improvised.

"Wellll, actually, the tooth fairy did leave money for the last tooth the dentist pulled. It was at my dad's." she argued.

"Oh, well that explains it. Your dad left the money and not the tooth fairy because tooth fairies don't leave money if the dentist has to pull it." I explained as I was driving and heard her chuckle and assumed she probably rolled her eyes.

"Mom, you're the tooth fairy. I've known for a long time, but I just play along to get money." she admitted right in front of her 2 brothers. 

At this moment I could not dissever her sufficiently from the age of believing in fictional characters. And yet, I suspected she had years ago.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Oh my! So much to say! I totally understand about the new table. I went through the same thing when we got a new table after the move!
The farting conversation was great! Gotta love boys!
I love your new tradition. What a great idea!
And finally, Makayla is so grown up! She is beautiful (though that is not new!) I think Zoe knows the tooth fairy, Santa, etc. are not real but continues to play along. Hopefully she won't pass that knowledge to the others.