Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Lately...

affectation \n.\  an artificial way of talking or behaving put on to impress others; pretense.  an unnatural action, expression, or trait that indicates artificiality

1. Today I audibly laughed at the farmers market while picking grapes. What made me laugh was the realization of my fruit picking affectation. I picked up a bag of grapes, set it down, picked up another, felt for firmness and triumphantly placed the grapes in my cart. Another woman noticed my affectation and misinterpreted it for expertise. It just struck me funny, what do I know about fruit? The woman put her bag back and started looking again for the perfect bag.  
2. This is a typical day in the life of my two boys. Even though they look and behave like a real cowboy and superman, I have always suspected an affectation. 
3. My brother in law took his daughter and Travis to the cliffs near our home and took some pictures. Later he added in some extra character compliments of Photoshop. He told the two to pose with an affectation of notable introduction. IOW: put your arm like this and smile.

4. Tom and I are both very competitive especially when playing board games. Once when I was pregnant I threw a deck of cards at him because I lost. Tonight we went on a date to the ocean and played scrabble with our camping lantern. Because I usually lose at this game and to save face, I paced myself capitalizing on Triple Word spaces and Triple letters for Q and Z flaunting myself with affectation. I actually did end up winning with Pique and Zine. Tom let me have Zine short for Magazine. Thanks Tom. 

4 comments:

TM CLAN said...

Let the record show that she threw the deck of cards from two feet away and hit me in the face! Crazy I tell ya!

Melissa said...

I love when you do blogs like this It is so creative. I love the pictures your brother in law took. So FUN!! Great post! Thanks for the laughs!

Karalea-Karalea said...

Tim and I play Scrabble too...we love it. We should get together and kick their butts sometime...girls vs. boys.

The Sampson Family said...

Thanks for your comment Melissa. I love you too.