Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Swing High

pen-du-lum /noun/  1.  A pendulum is a mass (called a 'bob') that is attached to a pivot point, from which it can swing freely. When the pendulum is displaced from its place of rest, the restoring force will cause the pendulum to oscillate about the equilibrium position.

The greater the displacement, the greater the oscillation. I refer to the pendulum a lot in life when something amazing goes great, usually something just as opposite occurs too. 

The other day after the amazing experience I had with Travis magnifying my motherhood and the Glory of God within, I experienced my pendulum make its way to the opposite side of the pivot point in total frustration as a mother. 

I don't enjoy writing about those experiences, but want to note here (for future posterity) that I experience the good and the opposite of good. 

pen-du-lum /noun/ 2. A body so suspended from a fixed point as to move to and fro by the action of gravity and acquired momentum.

My favorite church meeting is hands down the General Relief Society Meeting. I love conference, but the GRSM allows me to engage in the meeting without distractions. For me, it's like a 'Girls Night Out'. 

I'm always inspired and empowered in the meeting and this year's meeting was no exception. Pres. Uchtdorf was speaking directly to my spirit, and I was so glad I was conscious enough to experience the sweet whisperings.

He reminded me of my divinity as a daughter of the most magnificent Heavenly Father; a powerful creator and man of great compassion. Of course, I have the same abilities as my Creator. I AM a powerful creator and woman of compassion as well. 

I got excited about being creative and compassionate; what greater way to experience these divine talents than to pray to answer another's prayer (compassion) and then to create a way to DO IT.  And the greater "acquired momentum" I create, the greater I move "to and fro" answering prayers. 

Maybe the number of prayers we answer is more significant than the number of prayers we say. I loved hearing that. Swing pendulum, swing.

No comments: