Saturday, September 13, 2008

She shoots, she scores!




It's officially soccer season. Woohoo! I love soccer. The hunger for the goal, the quick strategies, feet swiftly moving the ball to the net, and the sweet victory. The score was 3-3 with only a minute and a half to go, Makayla had played her heart out. 

She played forward one quarter and then mid-field for the rest of the game which made the goal that much sweeter. We had made an agreement that she would start the game with 20 chores and each time she "won" the ball or made a brilliant play I'd subtract a chore. 

One beautiful move earned her -2 chores and I hollered to her on the field. Mother's along the stands laughed and I realized the embarrassment I just caused for us both. (Isn't this about having fun? ...Uh, no, it's always a competition)

She nearly had erased the 20 chore punishment by the end of the game with only about 6
chores to go. Then there it was, the ball shot out to the center of the field, 30 feet from the goal line. Two purple poison players were determined to defend their title, (this is the first game of the season, right?) Makayla swooped in and with her right foot grabbed the ball and turned into the opening. Foot on the ball, up over the goalie's head, swallowed by the back of the net, GOAL!! 

It was sweet and I couldn't contain myself. Woohoo! After the game she told me as she was facing the goal to shoot, she thought she was going to vomit, but she kept saying to herself, "I'm going to score before this game is through." And she did.... (Of course, I removed the rest of the chores.)

Matthew missed his first game taking the opportunity to visit some old friends of his. Matthew is no longer a Jedi apprentice. He's a master Jedi with powers beyond my understanding. He salutes me as "Princess", so I guess I still maintain a sense of respect. 

The local Pottery Barn store hosted a Star Wars event inviting Darth Vader, storm troopers, and Jedi's for pictures.  Although Matthew loves soccer, he loves Star Wars more. I'm not sure who enjoyed this event more, Matt or Tom...look at that smile. 



1 comment:

Whitney said...

Drew and Mathew could have so much fun together, Drew also thinks he is starting a band and asks us at least once a week when we can go to Disney Land so he can attend Jedi training camp! We have to get these boys together soon so that they can jam! Kayla is so cute and I can just imagine you going crazy on the side lines, your excitment is contagious! Travis is way too big you have to do something about that, can't we keep them small just a little longer?