Thursday, September 25, 2008

Conversational Hearts


Just wanted to share a great moment I had today with my Travis.(3) Dad was leaving for work and saying goodbye. Travis yelled, "Bye, Dad" and then teasingly said, "Bye, Mom."

I giggled and asked if I was supposed to go to work too today. "No," silly mom. Travis was very sure I wasn't supposed to go to work today. "You're not a guy" he declared.

"Oh, is that right?" interested to see where this would go, "So, guys go to work, huh?"

"Yep" Travis said confidently.

"And what do 'geels' do?" I asked using his dialect for 'girls' for effect.

This is where I jumped for joy inside...."Geels stay at home." All of the turmoil I'd ever felt for staying home and not working, for choosing to particularly stay home with Travis during some really rough times finally vanished in a second.

That choice, which I have to admit I had to make more than once inside, actually taught him the traditional, orderly, heavenly, old-fashioned family values. And during that moment, I had a flash that he would make a great father/provider for his family one day.

"What do geels do at home all day?"now this was the real test. I cringed slightly before he answered wondering if he'd respond, read books, clean, shop, or any other activity that distracts me from actually engaging him daily.

"Play with the kids." he said as he starred at Mary Poppins playing on the television screen. Rrrrright.......and so we did!

1 comment:

Whitney said...

I can just hear him say that in his adorable little voice with his angelic expressions. It does make it worth it when those few moments come along!