Friday, November 6, 2009

Remember Indoor Soccer?


The kids have been patient. Tonight may have been a turning point. Or it may have just been that I was too sick to tell them to stop.

In Utah, we had a long and HUGE family room/kitchen space where the kids would play nerf soccer. Actually, we all played on the hardwood floor using a doorway and the space in between the island and the counter as goals.

It took months to notice the nerf ball slowly deteriorating, even though I'd vacuum the tiny yellow flakes daily. I didn't discard the ball until we moved back to California. It was death for both the ball and our hope for indoor soccer; the house here is tiny.

In April, when we pulled up the carpet and had the hardwood refinished in the living room, Makayla tried to revive the family sport.

I would have said, "yes", if...

... if it weren't for the original 1940's picture window in the front room of our house.
... if we weren't renting.
... if the space was bigger.
... I could go on.

But, something tonight made me remember. Remember how laid back I used to be to allow indoor soccer. The noise of their pounding feet, their yelling, their crying...their laughing. Something about it reminded me of me. Where have I been? They have been so patient.

No comments: