Friday, November 6, 2009

Things You Can Do While Taxiing or Laying In Bed

Last night before going to sleep, I laid in bed celebrating the day I had. Celebrating Travis. When he was 2, he kept saying, "Almost there, mom", on our family hike because he knew my sighs were from exhaustion and from carrying him.

He likes to take my hand while walking up the steep sidewalk from the elementary school to the park and huff, "We're almost there."

He didn't know Matt had the advantage at skeeball, and he didn't see Matt's rewards spilling onto the floor. He didn't even notice when the girl next to him took his only 2 tickets.

He is blind to the emptiness in the glass. He reminds me daily.

Today at the store, I was carrying a basket to the cashier wondering out loud if it was too big. Well mom, if it's too big, we could just bring it back. He wasn't thinking about it not being the right size or the hassle of standing in the return line.

Oh, I do love this about him and a hundred other things like how he loves to cuddle. He's been that way since birth, and I remind him of that. Not because he's forgotten it, but because he loves to hear about his infancy.

So, that's what I did on Wednesday while we were taxiing in the car to church. I started with Makayla and reminded her how she hated bottles and drank out of a cup at 5 mos. How she loved to be rocked to sleep, which was wonderful and exactly opposite of Matthew who would cry if I rocked him and coo once I plopped him in his bed with his kissing bear.

Matthew and Travis laughed hysterically when I told them how they would eat and poop and eat and sleep and eat and poop. And both Makayla and Travis had blankets and Matthew had a bottle in the middle of the night until he was 18 mos.

We got to the church just in time as we ran out of more good things to say about babies. But that is no accident. Thanks Travis for reminding me the glass is sometimes half full and not just too big.

4 comments:

kenzie said...

I love your positivity! You're so great, Melissa.

Anonymous said...

I miss reading your blog! I really enjoy your writing. Hope all is well with you guys! Much love.

TM CLAN said...

That last sentence was one of the greatest things I have ever read! EVER! I have thought a lot over the years about family legacy and what ours will look like. Here you are documenting it with the sweetest of words from your dialed-in inspiration. This is our family history!

Karalea-Karalea said...

Travis is a sweet spirit that has been sent as a gift to you...I know sometimes he is clingy and difficult for you...it's part of his greatness.

You are like a magnet for that boy, he is drawn to you...

...and when people know you...really know you...it's difficult not to be drawn into your magnetic field. I am thankful to feel the pull.