Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanks and Giving


This was my second year participating in the 5K Turkey Trot, and as I got my number and free shirt, I delighted in the fact that my long-sleeve wardrobe almost doubled.

After the run, I joined Tom and the boys at the annual church football game. We stayed after to play soccer until we about passed out from hunger and fatigue.

Thankfully, Linda still hosts Thanksgiving dinner for Tom's family. I brought homemade crescent rolls, french beans with almonds, citrus sugar cookies with royal icing, and a pumpkin ice box with fresh whipping cream. Matthew said the prayer while Tom's family (minus his dad) held hands in a circle. I'm sure Tom's mom was thankful to have all 6 grandchildren present along with all 7 children alive and healthy.

We didn't deliver Thanksgiving dinners this year as a family. Our intention is to be open to whatever inspiration comes with respect to giving. An opportunity did come on Friday when Tom was about to go home for a nap. What he did instead is one of the reasons I love him.

A friend of mine has a son with leukemia and happened to be in the hospital on Thanksgiving. A quick trip to Miller's Children Hospital 30 minutes away to spread some love wasn't planned, but Tom was easily persuaded.

This small act was a perfect reminder of my thanks for healthy children and of giving to those who aren't. A reminder of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and our fondness of their vision. A reminder of our journey there and what is currently missing here; a boldness, a oneness, a noble woman, a family of means.

And then Tom took me to see the movie The Blind Side, which reminded me again of my thanks and giving. Makayla said the movie makes me want to change my life. It makes me what to thank and give.

4 comments:

Maxmomma said...

As always, your life is full of beautiful insights. That list of Thanksgiving foods you brought made my mouth water- yum!

We are so blessed- thanks for the reminder.

Melissa said...

You are such an inspiration! Your post always make me want to do better!
I can't wait to see Blind Side! It looks amazing!

Thunell Family said...

I need to go see that movie then. You haven't changed...still giving, still loving, still inspiring.

What a wonderful and FULL Thanksgiving! How in the world did you run a 5 K (and not even collapse), play at the park, and then whip up all those goodies to boot?! Sheesh.

Thank you for giving me some food for thought...a perfect way to start the Christmas season.

kenzie said...

Every time I read your blog I want to be a better person. I'm going to call you for the cookie recipe.