Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Trading Green for a Whistle


Some things work out like when I went to get a cake for the end of the season soccer party and the bakery suggested 24 cupcakes in the shape of a soccer ball, which looks like a cake, instead. Brilliant, isn't it?
I fell in love with each of these boys. From left to right and back to front:
Leandro for his growth in soccer skill and attitude. Jacob (blocked by Luca's head) for his leadership and heart. Dean for his huge kicks and great manners. Adam for his energy and defense skills. David for his fun personality.

Luca for his natural instincts in goal. Matthew for his love of the game and measurable improvement. Johnny for his spunk and speed. And Max (not pictured) for his team spirit.
And although my favorite part was getting to know the boys, this was my first and last year as assistant coach. I wanted to run off the field at the first practice and quit. And I would have if the team banner hadn't been made with my name above the words assistant coach.

Next year, I'll make a good team mom or I might even volunteer to be a line flagger. Or better yet, I could get licensed to referee and Tom can take a picture of me in a referee uniform with black knee highs and a whistle around my neck. Can you picture it? Green wasnt' my color anyway.

Jacob, my heart, on the left next to Dean, with thumbs down.

2 comments:

The Diabetic Dude said...

Hmmmm...I might like to see that outfit! Thanks again for chronicling our life. As chaotic and insane as it is, there's still a great story to tell.

Maxmomma said...

Way to show, once again, you're a finisher! Your love for these players really comes out in your writing. If you are half as good an assistant coach as you are a mom, they were extremely lucky to have you.

I know that feeling of being stuck in something you hate but not being willing to quit. That was my ballet class at BYU. Pink tights, black skin-tight leotard. Three walls of mirrors; one wall of floor-to-ceiling windows for all of the business students to view us on their way to class; and one uncoordinated non-ballerina.

Sometimes we only see things to the end because we refuse to be quitters. But it is okay to never go back once we are finished!