Sunday, October 18, 2009

Welcome Pumpkin


I prefer Autumn over Fall or any other season of the year.  Spring is a close second, but the crisp weather, the colors, and the food of Autumn beat new flowers or even warm rain.  

It's still hot here in Southern California and there are no leaves to rake into creative castles like I did when I was young, but we still carve pumpkin moonshine. 

At preschool today, Travis told his teacher how to carve a pumpkin. 

You take a spoon and you scoop out the seeds and put them on a plate. Oh,  ya, and you cut the top off. Then you grab some and then put it, and grab some and put it. Then you cut eyes, a mouth, and nose. Then you put in it a candle. And then you take pictures. 

He forgot to tell her about using the staple gun to put the pumpkin back together after it split.

And I was relieved he didn't tell how Matt carved slits in his pumpkin moonshine's face for dramatic blood effect. 

He also didn't tell her how I pretended to get injured by the staple gun, which sent Makayla into a frenzied fit where she begged me to let her skip school the next day. Wha?

She won skipping school and not because I wasn't a clever mother, but because she really was sick. All over my wall. Wha?

And even though Autumn usually does yield increased sickness, I still prefer it. 

Indeed, I am welcoming old scarves, pumpkin bread, and abundance. 

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Cute post Melissa. I miss you!