I see progress. It's invisible to the average mother, but not to me. And in moments when Travis is noticed behaving, I smile briefly. If you only knew, you'd pat me on the back for this...or even give me a hug. Because heaven knows I deserve it.
I feel pressure, though. This is Travis' last year before I send him off to be cared for by others. I'm still waiting on my petition from heaven for more time.
During recess at preschool, I was either patting myself on the back or taking pictures with my phone. These girls are the same girls who used to leave school wondering why the cutest boy in class ignored them.
Matthew's kindness and willingness to play whatever girls want guarantees him lots of attention, but Travis has a completely different approach, which initially just confused the girls.
Here they sit resting and quenching their thirst before they are chased by the monster, again. And when the monster fell, all the girls affectionately drew him chalk pictures on the concrete.
I would have patted myself on the back if he hadn't ignored them, again. Songs from Beauty and the Beast started playing in my head. Sigh...
My petition for a night alone was well deserved and answered just in time to save my children from further atrophy at home.
The kids packed themselves for a grandma sleep over this past weekend. If Matthew gets his socks wet 3 times, he's still very prepared. (This just makes me laugh out loud.)
Imagine my delight at the independence of it all.
After dinner, we came back to a very quiet house.
And then it happened. In the quiet house, while meditating in the bath, a sudden, intuitive perception that got me talking more than Tom expected.
My life is how I eat my dinner. Broccoli first. Get the ugly out of the way early, so I can enjoy the rest.
I'm eating crab right now. And it's good, but I don't usually order dessert. And so...
I decided to order dessert. Not at the restaurant...in life.
Crispy apple crumb. Coconut chocolate cheesecake. Frozen Yogurt.
Heaven knows.

3 comments:
I really want to write a nice comment but I just can't get my focus off of the coconut chocolate cheesecake.
First, your little Travis is growing up so fast! Your boys are bound to be the studs of the class- just look at them!
I'm so glad you got a very well-deserved night off. I am immensely impressed you didn't really order dessert... where do you get your strength? So, where do you plan to start inserting dessert into real life? I am excited to hear those thoughts in your next entry, as you have a powerfully creative and positive spirit. I am sure I will learn a lot from it.
I need dessert in my life. Without it, I am unhappy, mean and generally awful. Both literally and figuratively. My favorite part of the post, however, is the attractive picture of Tom at the end. Just saying...
Post a Comment