Thursday, May 7, 2009

Spring Tan Lines and "Story of My Life"

All last week, I was talking to myself in 'blog posting' language, thinking of all the clever things I could write once I was through with my busy week. Now, it seems my thoughts and feelings are vain and removed from what I am currently experiencing. 

Some things are still noteworthy:

For instance, last Tuesday I hosted book club, and as I prepared my house for the arrival of the guests, I kept reminding myself to stay focused on the simple tasks of  food preparation and clean bathrooms and to leave the baseboard painting and bookshelf reorganization alone.

We discussed The History of Love, and I would like to mention I felt accomplished after everyone left.

Or take the conversation between my left and right brain regarding the semi-surprise birthday gathering. The lack of decorations or even balloons would give you a vague idea the left brain may have dominated or even won. 

Fright overtook my feeling of excitement as I emerged from finishing the DVD cover exclaiming, I didn't even get balloons.

My friend Mandy, who arrived first (and unfortunately left before this picture), reassured me that even though Karalea is predominantly right-brained, birthday balloons would have been an exaggerated accessory for such a fine celebration.  

The impromptu Happy Birthday banner still sits behind the door unseen and unneeded; the evening was a success.
(left to right: Cia, Peggy in front, Me, Karalea, Jenn and Susan (from Carlsbad)
Saturday I was invited to go hiking with Karalea and Mandy to Solstice Canyon in Malibu, CA. I took pictures of the burnt ruins along the way and great company.


This picture reminded me of certain moments in my life, when everything around me is beautiful and I am conspicuously standing there isolated, burnt...no charred.  

Being in nature always allows me to remember important life lessons and connects me to my spirit and to divinity. 

Once, we were climbing rocks and Karalea asked me, right or left. Without looking or feeling I confidently decided left. My decision to choose the harder route was great feedback reminding me there may be an easier way to accomplish the same thing if I would just look up.

I didn't take pictures of us sitting on a rock snacking on pop-rock, cayenne pepper chocolate,  gourmet licorice, or dried  hibiscus flowers. Or of us looking for the hidden Virgin Mary. Or even of the 'creepy' butterflies we saw and the life lesson to go along with them; just BE yourself. 

But oddly, I did take this picture, which is evidence of spring tan lines before flip-flops and of gardening, soccer games, jogging, and a perfect day of hiking.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

What a great adventure!! Wish I was there to go to the book club. I finished reading that book and really enjoyed it! Thanks for the recommendation!

Thunell Family said...

Oh my goodness Melisssa, you are so busy!! How was the History of Love? I love all your book reads. And, I have matching tan lines...already.

karalea said...

That was such an enjoyable weekend for me. I can't even tell you. Thank you for being such a central part of my life and my joy.

The Diabetic Dude said...

Such an amazing writer!!! Moah!