Sunday, May 31, 2009

Enough Love and Gifts to Last

I didn't cancel the water slide for Matthew's party, but I did tell Matthew Friday night to include sunshine in his evening prayer. 

On Saturday at 11:30 am., 16 guests arrived for the water party and the weather was overcast, windy, and cold. I wore a sweatshirt, but they came wearing swimsuits (and one wet suit) begging me to turn on the water. The water balloons weren't enough, and finally I gave in.


Before I turned the water on the slide, the 15 boys and 2 girls (one sister and one special girl, Cierra) jumped on the trampoline, slid on the dry slide, played pool, air hockey and foosball, ate cotton candy and popcorn (thanks to a last minute delivery from a friend), ate pizza, and...

... decorated and not necessarily ate cupcakes. 

Later, I realized I didn't have any right throwing a party with 17 boys. 

I had no control of the water balloons being launched from 2nd story balconies, or the soaked carpet upstairs from the retaliating attacks, or the kid who kicked another kid in the head, or the kid who punched another kid in the nose. 

And even though 4 moms stayed to chaperone or rescue me (however you want to look at it), I still kept having thoughts of missing kids and sorry explanations to the worried parents who would be there at 2pm for pick up. 

I make it sound more like free baby sitting than a party. But it was a party and a perfect one. Travis helped Matthew blow out 4 of the 11 candles on this cake. (It was a last minute, pathetic cake ring which I embraced because I knew I forgot to plan and I was tired the night before.)

Travis turns 4 in a few days, so this party was for him too. Not everyone at the party knew this and those who did made sure not to give him unwanted attention. He did like the gifts from Ewan and Conner, and he let me take this picture.
Matthew was showered with enough love and gifts to last through the summer. He'll be building star wars and sponge bob lego kits, making candy and bubbles, learning how to yo-yo, watching movies, reading books, making airplanes, and spending his cash sporting his new star wars shirt. 

When I asked Matthew if he'd like to take just a friend or two to Disneyland next year for his birthday, he declined saying on a scale from 1 to 10, this party was a 10.  Oh. I suppose I'd vote the same way. Thanks friends and family (especially my MIL for letting us destroy her house and flood her yard) for a fabulous celebration!

3 comments:

Karalea-Karalea said...

I must admit, you were calm and collected where I would have been crazy and neurotic! That was A LOT of boys and you handled it so well...no, better than well...with grace and style and smile!

My boys are still saying "wow, that was a great party, mom!"

I only hope that Matthew had a good time. I kept seeing him sitting alone, doing his own thing. It's almost as if he threw the party for his friends as his gift to them!

What a great time!

Cheryl said...

Sorry it was cold, but it seems that everyone had a blast! Looks like you did a great job! Happy Birthday boys!!!

Thunell Family said...

Sounds like a dream come true for any child. What a mommy you are for going with the flow and making it so fun! You're helping me muster up courage enough to have one of those too (except maybe not with 17 little boys!)...You're amazing!!!