Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Likely to Change

labile (LAY-byl) /adj./ open to change. likely to change. adaptable. constantly or readily undergoing change or breakdown. unstable.

1. For months now I've been too labile, too prone to my own intimidating thoughts about purchasing another piano. But Easter Sunday we moved in my new (well, USED) Baldwin. The piano was well loved even if it is a bit out of tune.  


Tonight as Matthew was finishing up homework, I sat to play my favorite piece of all time, "Clair de Lune" by Debussy. To my astonishment (or not), I can still play this piece. When I finished Matthew asked if I could play "Crazy Frog" by Axel F. Then he told me listening to me play the piano helped him concentrate better at homework. (his words)

I had to ask, which song

I proudly played, at his request, "Clair de Lune" again knowing his labile personality, funny and clever, never predictable, and capable of abrupt opinion changes.

2. Makayla's science project was due on Monday. The teacher approved an idea to make lollipops and take an opinion pole on whether homemade lollipops taste better than store bought lollipops. Well, I'd like to take a pole...really? What is scientific about that?

Anyway and luckily, Makayla and her partner couldn't coordinate schedules, so Makayla finished her project alone and added a more scientific element about dissolving sugar molecules.

Makayla is unaware of her lability, but I appreciate the way she goes with the flow in most situations. And anyway and luckily, there were no tears during this project. 


3. As soon as I committed to planting a garden weeks ago, the weather became so labile that between the weather and my threatening to-do list, gardening got put on the list next to organize the garage and alphabetize my spices.

Anyway and luckily, today is Earth Day and I made it home with a trunk full of cucumbers, cilantro, tomatoes, peppers, squash, peas, and fresh soil. 


Travis was in charge of filling the bucket and squirt guns to water the newly un-potted starters. Matthew dug the holes and pulled the roots out while reassuring the plants that they will be settled soon enough.

(today Travis was a zebra at school)
I locked myself away from my labile thoughts about what to plant in my front flower bed. I bought 2 palms, 3 ferns, and transplanted a generously growing green plant from my back yard. I found myself talking to the palms squished in the back of the van. 

You'll be fine. It isn't far. I know there isn't enough room for you to stand up back there. You are in good hands. 

But what I wanted to say, but didn't say was, Be afraid, be very afraid.

4. Each room gets lighter as I pass through gathering the rest of my garage sale items for Saturday. I might not be much more labile than Tom about recycling the excess, but I am certain we discussed replacing the leather chair with a better piece of furniture. If I include it in the garage sale, does that mean my proceeds must be used on the new furniture? This money is earmarked for a refinished hardwood floor!! (I know, I know, it's still not done. See: daunt)

I won't get too worked up over it yet, I'm selling inventory from my cleaning business on eBay and already recovered $198. But I am amazingly labile about what to do with the excess money raised from the garage sale and eBay. I'm open to new furniture, or a new wardrobe, or just a new bathing suit....sheesh those things are expensive!

5 comments:

The Diabetic Dude said...

Has your publisher set up your book signing events?

Thunell Family said...

First of all, how thrilling to have a new piano!! I can't think of a better tune than Clair de Lune to break it in (and Axel F's of course). Your garden is inspiring...and your ferns are beautiful. My pathetic little garden is having a hard time just getting off the ground (no pun intended...quite literal though). Anyways, happy shopping with your spoils...sounds exciting! Love reading your blog...love you!

Susanne said...

Hey girl love to read your blog!!

If you looking into a new bathing suit, check out
athleta.com they are pricy but SO CUTE!! I love them. They have great tankinis if you like those!!

Melissa said...

A new piano?! How wonderful! Love your garden. And I love how you write! It is so fun to read!

Karalea-Karalea said...

We'll have to trade produce when the time comes, though I think we have similar palates (tomatoes, cucumbers, cilantro....thinking salsa and pickles at our house).