Saturday, April 25, 2009

Not One VHS tape or a Book.


Things I learned from having a yard sale: 

1. To get people to come, all you have to do is post one sign. 

A local realtor sponsors, coordinates, and advertises for a neighborhood garage sale NOT in my neighborhood. But he said, he could put me on the list anyway if I wanted. Last night I finally decided I would not do a garage sale, but when I got home from the mall, a sign was in my yard. There must have been a miscommunication. And it was probably on my part.

After a late night with masking tape and a sharpie, I woke excited for the garage sale. Except, the sign was gone. Am I not on the list anymore? Everything is ready to go, how will I get customers? 

I drove down the street and posted a sign. By the time I returned home, Matthew was holding $3 and a sedan was pulling from the curb.


2. If the price is too high, no one will buy. If the price is just right, they will pay half.

Unfortunately for me, I priced too low and they still only offered me half. I'm pretty generous, except when it came to the Little Tikes Firehouse. The sun was almost directly overhead and the traffic was steadily declining, I refused to barter that firehouse. So as I sat guarding the money box, I listed the firehouse on craigslist.org.

3. Every garage sale must have a FREE box. 

The FREE box brings smiles to a garage sale. But I was offended that no one wanted a VHS tape. Not one. As shoppers picked through my belongings and discounted or dismissed items, I felt insulted that they'd pay $.75 for a candy bar and only $.50 for a shirt!

Matthew and Travis worked the snack bar and it was a big hit. You should note, however, that if you sell food, you might eat your profits. 

4. Not everyone is honest. 

At the start of the sale, people were swarming and speaking other languages. Everything was happening so fast. My main focus was to guard the money and Matthew. And I am certain several things left without being paid for. 

I asked Matthew, Did those boys pay for those chips? No. You've got to tell them the prices. Why? he looked nervous and his avoidance of confrontation felt familiar.

Because if you don't, they may just take it. And so they did.

One family was almost loaded back into their van, when the dad came back to pay Matthew $.50 because his son had taken 2 Mike & Ikes. And so when the old grandma asked how much one of Makayla's cute shirts was I said, Gratis. I am a sucker for honesty.

Another person asked for a $.75 candy bar and gave Matthew a dollar. Matthew handed him two quarters in change. The man closed his hand and left. 

I let him. 

He rattled to his friend in their private language, while looking back over his shoulder as he walked to his car. Really? He sold out for $.25? Well, that is not worth confrontation.

5. Some things you can't give away.


Which is why I love DI. The DI trailer never rejects my offering. Tom was away for most of the morning, but after returning, he pointed out the unwanted clothes on the rack were mine. I guess no one wanted your clothes. He took a huge risk saying that. Lucky for him, I was in a pretty good mood because I made that clothing rack with PVC pipe myself.

My clothes and other items not sold went into a small box for the DI trailer. Well, everything except some books. No one bought a book either, which is just outrageous. 

I took my sign down. The cars stopped slowing down in front of the house. I watered my new plants. The firehouse didn't sell. But I'm holding out for the right buyer. 

7 comments:

Susanne said...

I love you!!!!!

What a great experience for your kids!!!!

The Diabetic Dude said...

The title for #2 is soooo funny! I was laughing by myself in my office. Did you hear me? Awesome post!

Aleen said...

Most interesting, Melissa! That's really the way it is in LA, huh? It would be a little tamer in southern "I duh ho!" Ha, ha!

Thanks for the reminder on Facebook about your blogs. I appreciate your writing and photos very much. . .

Have a delightful week. . .

Love,
Sister B

Melissa said...

Good for you! I have always wanted to have a yard sale, but can't handle people rejecting my stuff! How fun for the kids to sale stuff too. Once again you are such a great Mom!

Thanks for the advice. I think you are right. I will let you know how it goes!

Cheryl said...

Interesting to see how people sold out themsleves for so little money! I hope you at least made lots of money! Love the post!

Maxmomma said...

Looks like a blast! Did the firehouse already sell on craigslist? I just went to look for it and couldn't find it listed. If not, how much are you guys asking?

Garage sales are such an adventure!

Purple Haley Smile said...

thats fun
hey i havn't come on your blog or heard from you for a long time. we miss you here in utah. just wanted to stop and say hi

-haley