Today I got a glimpse of the excitement of our upcoming last day of the school year.
Today is the last school day before Spring Break and almost as exciting.
My children are free from homework bondage, and I am free from a schedule. And that will start right after tonight's baseball and soccer practice. 6:30pm P.S.T.
I didn't have to split myself in 2 like I had imagined today.
I began my day at Matthew's school for the Jog-A-Thon with a liter of water and 2 hole punches. Suddenly, I regretted not considering the email with instructions to bring just a liter. The blue table had gallon jugs of water under it. I casually slipped my weak offering under the table and walked away.
Matthew fought through a row of mom's holding hole punchers to get to me for his 10 laps. This was rewarding; a little mother morsel.
After successfully getting a picture of Matt's classmates for the yearbook collage, Travis and I hustled to the car, which was parked in the "staff only" space near the front. I like to think my mom left that space open for me this morning.
Only 9 minutes to get to the park for the easter egg hunt and magician show.
During the egg hunt, it occurred to me I wasn't pointing or managing Travis' search. I was only standing watching and aiming my camera as he confidently found egg after egg. Makayla and Matthew now independently hunt for their easter eggs. And yet, maybe I thought Travis would always need me to point to the available eggs left.
Later, much later, the emotion of this revelation overwhelmed me and I cried.
Moving on...
It took me 6 minutes to get to Subway because of some road work. I picked up a few extra minutes because the magician show was shorter than I anticipated, which allowed me to get to the picnic on time despite the long sandwich line.
Matthew asked Travis how he felt playing with the "big year olds". Travis said he was good.
Speaking of good. We are going away for a few days, and I finished Peony in Love. I am still in process mode, so I will post when I get back from vacation. Happy Spring Break!

No comments:
Post a Comment