My mom wrote about our family Thanksgiving holidays in her journal but she didn't go into detail about any special traditions or the food we would eat and there are no pictures that I know of. I have some of her recipes but none of them are Thanksgiving-themed.
When we lived in California, Tom's mom Linda would cook and bake traditional food most years. After we moved to Texas, I cooked and hosted Thanksgiving several times but I remember once we went to my dad's house near Fort Worth, TX and everyone brought sides to share.
Last Thanksgiving was our first Thanksgiving in Idaho. We celebrated with my son-in-law's grandpa and his whole family. Due to COVID-19 this year, Thanksgiving at grandpa Rex's was canceled, but Makayla and Nick came up from Utah and I prepared the dinner.
We ate:
Turkey
Turkey Legs
Ham
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Twice-baked potatoes (Nick's grandma's recipe)
Macaroni (Nick's grandma's recipe)
Orange Rolls (Nick's grandma's recipe)
Punch (Nick's grandma's recipe)
Sweet potatoes
Stuffing
Rolls
Chocolate Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Cheesecake
Pecan Pie (store-bought)
The number of COVID cases was increasing in both Utah and Idaho. There was a lot of public debate about gatherings and holiday travel but ultimately I'm so glad Makayla and Nick were able to come, celebrate the holiday, and say good-bye to Matthew before he leaves on his mission.
(Makayla hugging Matthew good-bye for 2 years :)


No comments:
Post a Comment