2009 never told me I'd find these 6 great things, but oh, I am lucky I did. Lucky and favored. My only regret is a bigger waist line. (See #3)
1. Brown Rice w/ Multiple Cups of Vegetables Daily
My stomach thanks me for not putting gluten and dairy and too much corn in it anymore. After feeling some growing pains last year, I tried a program designed to find food allergies. And although sometimes I want a big juicy cheeseburger, I know eating rice with vegetables every day is right for my body.
2. Surprises and/or Pranks
This was the year for surprises and pranks. I can't list all of the prank ideas Tom and I came up with this last year, and most of the ideas we didn't even do. Just laughing about doing the pranks is almost enough.
I'm not particular to new year's resolutions, but last year I did commit to making my life funnier, even happier by laughing more. Life is funny and fun if you are looking for it.
3. Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Don't judge me if you haven't tried one of these cookies. They are irresistible and deadly in our home with Tom being diabetic and with my new intention to order/eat more desserts (see Ordering Dessert, Please). I'm no longer laughing at my friend for always having cookie dough on hand.
Matt mentioned this past week, "After I go to college, I'm always going to come home for these cookies." As far as I know, it isn't a crime to prepare your children for the future. I might be considered a hero, too, for telling him about the poor food quality in dorms and the absence of maids and laundry fairies. He was aghast, and so, I gave him more cookies.

4. Basil Plant
I picked up one of these plants at Trader Joes, and I've not been disappointed. I never knew the many uses this plant has to offer besides cooking. I mean it's very aromatic and protects against aggressive dogs. It doesn't heal sore throats, but it might heal a broken heart with laughter.
5. Gift Wrapping
Honestly, I was embarrassed to even type this. (The key word is was.) I ordered a gift wrapping book and worried it might have been a waste of last year's Barnes and Noble gift card. But I LOVE the book and all the ideas that came with it. The title is Creative and Thoughtful Gift Giving by Hallmark. Giving gifts is more fun when the wrapping becomes a gift too. A gift of time and creativity.

6. Massage School
Last year Tom's resolutions were to go to the chiropractor and to get a massage once a week. I consciously gave Tom the gift of unlimited chiropractor visits for a year and unconsciously joined massage therapy school for him. The idea came from my hair dresser. Opportunities opened for me that I never thought possible in January of 2009, which leads me to believe 2010 will also be a year of greats. Greats I wouldn't recognize in January or February or maybe even March.
2010, my hands are waiting to fill up and overflow with your gifts...
What were your gifts in 2009?

4 comments:
Fabulous! My gift was another great year with you. I know it doesn't seem as such in Jan, Feb, or March...but certainly starting in April right?
Awesome post Melissa. I didn't know you were doing massage therapy school for Tom- lucky guy! When we got married, I thought of doing that. I guess it will go on my bucket list :).
PLEASE may I have your cookie recipe???? I haven't made a good batch of choc. chip cookies in too long. All of mine seem puffy and lacking flavor... I would LOVE to try a new recipe.
For me I would have never guessed in Jan. 2009 that in Jan. 2010 I would feel CA was really my home with dear friends and true joy. I realized this week that if Glenn were to tell me we were moving back to Utah, my heart would drop. That was a great moment for me. You are part of my CA joy- thank you!
Thanks for this post, it has given me a better way to look over this past year!
2009 has given me the opportunity to put all my faith in God and the ability to see Him in my life even when it is not how I want it. It has reveled to me a goodness and generosity in other people I have not seen before. It has shown me I am stronger and more resourceful than I imagined!
Great post, Melissa. You are a wonder and I adore you. (oh, and that wrapping job...I couldn't contain my excitement...and I don't even care what's inside, it's so pretty!)
I had so many "gifts" given me in 2009, but for both time (need to get in gear and get the kids ready for school) and personal reasons, I will name two.
#1 Humility/Faith. In 2009 I have found myself with feelings of inadequacy and fear, due to a husband that is away almost more than he is home and a new calling that is so much bigger than ME. I find myself on my knees and in the temple more...and that has yielded amazing results...as you know from experience (the temple can provide miracles).
#2 You. Don't scoff my answer. I was just thinking back...we only truly became good friends after your surprise birthday party last year (which was joyful service for me to do and a door that opened up the opportunity to be your friend). I am blessed by you. You are full of grace and I have experienced countless learning opportunities in your presence. Thank you for accepting me as your friend. It has been a precious gift (with beautiful, ornate wrapping...and a broach on top...hehe)
Post a Comment