I just shelved another great book in my front room. Peace Like a River by Leif Enger.

My favorite type of fiction connects with my spirit, speaks truths, and alludes to mysteries. This book does suggest mystery in miracles and it was an enjoyable read until the very end. I'll say it's a personal prejudice, and yet, I would recommend the book, definitely.
Page 134 is the only dog ear you'll find in my copy and because of this quote:
"Where do we go from [here]?" He didn't know. We'd simply go forth, he said, like the children of Israel when they packed up and cameled out of Egypt. He meant to encourage me. Just like us, the Israelites hadn't any idea where they'd end up! Just like us, they were traveling by faith! Indeed, it did impart a thrill, yet the trip thus far in the frigid and torpid Pymouth had reminded me what a hard time the chosen people actually had of it. Once traveling, it's remarkable how quickly faith erodes. It starts to look like something else - ignorance, for example. Same thing happened to the Israelites sure it's weak, but sometimes you'd rather just have a map."
In this book, the narrator is an 11 year old boy and easy to relate to. The father is faithful and a creator of miracles which reminded me of my own angel mother. While folding laundry and doing dishes, I found my heart with young Reuben Land and his daring adventure. Life is either that or nothing at all.
The author is talented, and I will definitely read his other books, The Story of Edgar Sawtell and So Brave, Young, and Handsome.
After I read These is My Words, Peony in Love, and Sarah's Key; not necessarily in that order.

4 comments:
Thanks for more great books to read! I am really enjoying The History of Love!!
Holy Cow! You ARE a reader!!!!! Not that I ever expected anything else from my twin... :)
Thank you Melissa. I'm always looking for a good read. I know where to come for my next one. Have a great weekend!!
I have The Story of Edgar Sawtell on my shelf...you are welcome to borrow it. I loved it....until the end. Maybe that is this author's bad habit....unhappy endings....
Post a Comment