I'm not a planner, I'm an organizer. Do not put me in charge of innovation or creativity but count on me to execute whatever the innovative plan is.
So, this last week with Elder Curtis was unsettling for me. The church travel department sent travel plans only a week before Matt was supposed to leave. The travel plans left too many details out to properly plan for the execution of his departure, so we literally had to 'wing it' as sparse pieces of information flowed through Matt's email up until he boarded his first flight.
Most stressful and confusing were the plans for traveling during a pandemic and meeting requirements to travel COVID-free.
COVID testing was sent a few days before Matt left with a protocol that would give anyone a headache.
"Spit in this tube within 72 hours but not less than 48 hours before...mail through overnight express...if the status is 'unavailable' or 'reserved' call right away...results will be available by 9pm...if results show 'negative' complete this form...take the QR code...attach these hombe elibre ponduro blah blah language I don't understand documents to the form...print...carry with you...don't congregate with other missionaries...walk fast in Santiago airport...memorize and repeat these 2 phrases which mean 'I'm an American' and 'I don't have COVID'...on the 9-hour flight to Santiago fill out these forms for your VISA...someone will be on the other side waiting for you."
Elder Curtis planned the foods he wanted to eat over the last few days he'd spend at home, which made my job easy.
On Tuesday the 9th, he picked the restaurant, Tocanos, as one of the last meals before he leaves for Chile, which reminded us that we should be experiencing this delicious place more often.
In the morning, no one felt like eating. Probably because of the huge pit in all of our stomachs.
We loaded the car and drove Matt to the airport. I think Matthew hugged Aabee longer than he hugged me but I think he was partly saying good-bye in case Aabee passes away before he returns from his mission. She turns 10 tomorrow.
He checked in his 2 bags weighing just around 35 lbs each and rolled his carry-on to the entrance of the security checkpoint. This is where we gave our last hugs.
This is where my heart broke into tiny pieces.
Through the stupid masks, you can see Matt building Travis up, filling his heart with encouragement and much-needed advice that can only come from a big brother. You can see the resolve in Matt's face, the sadness in Travis's, and the last physical connection these two will have for 2 years.
Thankfully Tom was able to take these memorable pictures because it took everything I had to not be a puddle on the floor.
After too short of time saying good-bye, Matt walked into the security line looking over his shoulder for one last glance and gesture.
When he turned that last time for a wave, I gasped.
Then, I grabbed my mouth with both hands. It was just too much to contain. Tears wouldn't stop streaming down my face. It's a hard feeling to describe. Of course, I want Matt to go on this mission. He's prepared. We've all prepared.
And yet, nothing will ever be the same again.
Son, for the next 24 months but no less than the 2 months you've already served...be kind...show your giant heart...if your status is 'frustrated' or 'downtrodden' pray right away ... results may not be visible to you immediately...take the scriptures...speak in the blah blah language I don't yet understand...carry your testimony with you...walk fast since you won't be driving or biking your entire mission...memorize and repeat phrases which bring souls until Christ...on the 36-hour flights home...we'll be on this other side waiting for you.
(Matthew boarded the plane in Houston headed for Santiago and he was bumped to business class where his seat reclined and hopefully he caught up on some missed sleep.)









No comments:
Post a Comment