Saturday, September 4, 2010

Opposite Week

August 30 started the first official day of NOT Back to School Week. It started a week of no chores and no curfews and no rules about not eating dessert for dinner. The week was sort of like 'opposite day', and the kids wondered if they could go around breaking things in the house too.

DAY ONE
1. Made forts
2. At Handel's Ice Cream for dinner
3. Ordered pizza for dessert
4. Played DS games and iTouch games
5. Watched movies

DAY TWO
6. Went to the beach
7. Went bowling
8. Ate lots of skittles
PLUS 1 and 4

DAY THREE
9. Went golfing
10. Raced go carts
11. Paddles boats for golf balls
Plus 1 and 4

DAY FOUR:
12. Camped in the back yard
13. Shopped for clothes and back packs
Plus 1 and 4

DAY FIVE:
15. Went to Toys R Us
16. Ate Dippin' Dots
Plus 1 and 4 and 7 and 12


By day 4, my body was fully resisting all the fun. It was also probably in denial too. Denial that I came up with this idea on my own and denial that I committed to an entire week of 'opposite days'. The kids were good sports when I pulled the plug and asked for some help with chores by Friday.

Part of me hopes they remember this for years to come. Another part of me knows if they do remember, this week of NOT Back to School will become tradition. Hopefully this time next year, my own memory will fail me like it usually does, and I'll be just as excited to start NOT Back to School Week as I was on DAY ONE this year.

2 comments:

Niki said...

Hahaha! I love your ideas Melissa! They put a smile on my face... and I'm sure your kids as well! You are such a great mom and an inspiring person.

Melissa said...

Your kids have the best Momma ever!!! That is what they will remember forever!