Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Black Hawk Down The Track

I don't have memories of my brother's pinewood derby, but I have indifferent feelings around the event. I remember it had to weigh a certain amount and that certain things could disqualify a car, but I didn't mind the mystery. After all, it's a dad sort of thing, right?

Tom gladly volunteered to help Matt build his car. And so, I didn't research and study and schedule and shop for the elements that would make a car a winning car. Because really is there any other type of car you would build?

The winning car wasn't finished a week before the event, the weekend before the event, or even the night before the event. But it had been painted and named ('Black Hawk') and allowed to dry and was ready to be weighted and adjusted and transformed.

And just like that, in a blink of an eye, in the nick of time, by the skin of its teeth, the winning car not only was finished, it won.

No comments: