Our bags were packed and everything ready by the front door for our 5am Thursday departure.
I took our car into the shop a day before our trip.
It's old and we had some work done before we left, which was necessary and unexpected.
At dinner the night before, I heard an unexpected cough from Travis and realized after a night of coughing that staying with friends and family in Utah wouldn't work if his pneumonia had returned.
Having already consumed some travel resources, knowing we didn't have the reserves for staying at a hotel AND any more unexpected car repairs, and being concerned with the H1N1 flu virus in Utah with Travis' unforeseen and questionable health, we decided to sell the Jonas Brother's Stadium of Fire Tickets and stay home.
Maybe part of my disappointment was knowing I added 7 days to seeing my daughter again or maybe hearing Matthew crying softly in his room weighed on my already heavy heart or both.
Our attempt to make something great out of an unpredictable situation ended us in a local hotel Thursday night and distracted any disappointment.
I failed to put batteries in the camera or to take pictures of us watching movies, swimming at 10pm, or jumping on beds.
The next day after breakfast together, we hiked to the cove and hunted crab. Tom was confident enough to pick up the crabs, and when he did we'd yell, FOOD!
I practiced self photography.
The coughing only lasted one night. Strange, and yet, probably not by accident.

If you ask my children what I would most likely say to a pack of gum at the checkout, a new toy at target, jamba juice in the middle of the day, they would agree, no. Maybe even in irritation.
Except on vacation. Vacations are for yeses and sugar coated cereal.
Here we are on vacation at the park playing basketball...
...and tennis.
Since our departure date, we've picnicked, rode bikes, hiked, camped, made paper airplanes, baked, played board games, read, chalked the sidewalk, swam, watched movies, played sports, and made forts.
We've made not arriving, worth it.
(And yes, he is in his underwear.)
Perfect.

4 comments:
If you don't write a book soon, I will steal all your blog posts and write the book myself. :)
Only you could make a non trip so wonderful! So sorry you missed the Jonas Brothers but it sounds like you created priceless memories! Another reason why you are my hero!
I love it! Way to make the very best of it all- I am sure those boys are loving this 'trip'! It reminds me of the conference talk where the man asked his son what his favorite memory was of the summer after many fancy trips. The boy answered his favorite time was the night they laid outside, watched the stars, and talked. You guys are such a great family- it is a joy just to watch you! I'm glad Matthew's cough went away. How is it having McKayla (sp?) home?
So sad you didn't get to go...but so glad we got to spend the 4th with you guys. Thank you for all your tissue-fluffing help, for decoration set up and for a few good Ruby's.
Post a Comment